Saturday, June 25, 2011

Hyundai


15 years ago, Hyundais were a joke.  Now, they're probably the best value for money on four wheels.  Build quality and materials have gone from piss-poor to very respectable.  I knew going into this that if I could fit into one of their cars, it was going to be the one to beat.  Dammit, I fit into all three.  Comfortably.


Sonata
I didn't really pay attention when I put this on the list.  Yes, you can get a Sonata for under $20k, but that's with a 6-speed manual.  As much fun as that would be on leisurely drives, it's considerably less fun in stop-and-go traffic.  I don't have that kind of patience, and I'd likely burn through a clutch per year.  Upgrading to an automatic would put this out of my preferred price range.  It might be worth it anyway, but rules are rules.  Besides, the Elantra is just as comfortable, nearly as nice, and is within my range.

For the record though, it is a very nice car.  Easily as comfortable as the Fusion and classier than even the 200.  For about $27k you can get one that will put cars costing ten grand more to shame.  Maybe in a few years...


Accent
The first time I stopped by the local dealership, all the 2011 Accents were sold out and the 2012s hadn't arrived yet.  Today they had one 2012, and though it was already reserved, they let me sit in it.  It was pretty much perfect.  Other than having to duck my head a bit more than usual, getting in and out was easy.  There was loads of room inside, including more width in the knee area than nearly all the other cars I've tried so far.  The seats were wide and comfortable, and the armrest was where it should be.  The interior was plainer than the Sonata and Elantra, but still nicer than you'd expect given the <$16k price tag.  I really liked this little car, and if the Elantra didn't exist, I'd probably be driving one in a month or two.


Elantra
This was the sweet spot between the slightly too-expensive Sonata and the slightly too-cheap Accent.  Space-wise, it was about the same as the Accent.  But the look and feel of the interior was noticeably improved, and that bumps the overall comfort up a notch.  I did have to duck my head a bit getting in and out, but not drastically so.  I think this might be a winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment