Sunday, June 26, 2011

Mitsubishi

There are no Mitsubishi dealers near me, but it turned out to be well worth the drive.


Lancer
The souped-up version of the Lancer (Evo) is all the rage with rally drivers and people who think they're rally drivers.  It's also expensive as hell.  The toned-down version is much more reasonably priced.  Unfortunately, it's also pretty small.  Getting in was even more difficult than the Focus, and the seats were hard.  My head just barely grazed the roof, and if I were to hit a bump, I would probably be knocked unconscious.  Not good.


Outlander Sport
When making up the original list of <$20k, >30mpg cars, I somehow missed the Outlander Sport.  It's the only SUV in America that meets my requirements - though only in the base 2WD configuration.

This is a very comfortable car.  Like all SUVs, it has a higher ride height and therefore higher seat, which means much easier ingress/egress than lower vehicles.  Even on the base model, the seats are very nice, and you have plenty of room in every direction.  My only minor complaint is that the center console is at mid-shin level.  This means that there is plenty of room to spread my knees, but if I do, the console presses into my lower leg.  It's not excruciating or anything, but it's an annoyance.

Logically, this should be the ideal vehicle.  It offers similar economy to many of the smaller vehicles, but gives the option of carrying back seat passengers and cargo as well.  But there just seems to be something wrong with replacing my existing SUV with another SUV.  On paper it makes sense, but I don't see how it can really be as efficient as smaller, lighter compacts and subcompacts.  Mind games aside, this is going to the semifinals.

No comments:

Post a Comment