Sunday, June 26, 2011

Semi-finals

I started this exercise figuring I'd be lucky to find two or three legitimate options to choose from.  I ended up with eleven.  And that's ignoring the three or four 2011 models that weren't in stock at the local dealer, as well as the new-for-2012 models that weren't quite available yet (redesigned Beetle, Scion iQ, Hyundai Veloster).

I could spend the next several weeks doing test drives and extensive reviews of all of them, but that's really not necessary.  Just from sitting in them and examining statistics, I can already determine that I like some more than others.  I arbitrarily decided to limit the possibilities to four and make my final choice from there.  To make it even easier, I decided I would choose one car from each class - compact, midsize, wagon/crossover, and SUV.


The SUV class was easy, since there was only one entry.  The Outlander Sport has the most room for passengers and cargo of any car reviewed, and looks pretty sweet to boot.

The wagon/crossover class started out pretty big, but it came down to just the Soul and SX-4 once we selected for fatass-compatibility.  Of the two, the Soul is a much nicer car.  It's roomier and better looking.  The materials and build quality seem much better.  The SX-4 does have AWD, but I will still have the option of a proper 4WD truck when inclement weather is an issue.  For 95% of the year, the Soul is just a better choice.

The mid-size class ended up being won by a car that isn't technically mid-sized.  The Elantra has always been a "compact" car, but over the years, it's gradually grown larger and larger.  The 2011 model has an overall length and internal volume that makes it legally a mid-size sedan.  While it's not quite as flashy as the 200 or as roomy as the Fusion, the Elantra is the Goldilocks of the group - it's just right.  It also gets 41 miles per gallon - about ten more than the other midsize cars.  That's a substantial fuel savings over the course of a year, and really puts it over the top.

The 2012 Accent "pulled an Elantra" and snuck into a class that it didn't used to be in.  Formerly a sub-compact, the redesigned model wipes the floor with the other compacts for both comfort and economy.  Don't get me wrong - the Sentra and 3 are both very good cars.  But given the choice between one of them and an Accent, the Accent wins.  It's cheaper than either, and more fuel efficient as well.

And as for the Smart, well, it's just not practical.  Maybe it would have made the cut if I lived in a city where on-street parking was an issue and I would never have to drive above 50mph.  But out here in the real world, I will have to merge onto highways at 75mph and contend with 18-wheelers.  Not to mention the unending ridicule I would receive for driving a street-legal golf cart.  That sort of thing shouldn't matter to me, but it does.

One last thing I took into account in narrowing down the list is warranties.  All four of the cars I chose have 5yr/60k mile bumper-to-bumper and 10yr/100k mile powertrain guarantees.  Most of the cars I didn't choose had much shorter warranties.  It wasn't my primary consideration, but it is important when you're considering a $16k-$20k investment that you'll be driving for at least five years.

Over the next week or two I will be doing a lot of research into these four cars.  I will be going over them with a fine toothed comb at the dealership, and doing test drives.  I will post my findings and make a final decision in about a month.

3 comments:

  1. Really enjoyed reading your weblog as I'm going to be doing a similar search in the upcoming months. I'm curious to see which vehicle you ended up choosing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ended up putting off the decision for about 9 months. By the time I was actually ready to buy, I had some more money saved up and splurged on a Sonata. I got a VERY good deal on a SE with the turbo. I've had it for a year now and it's been great.

      Delete
  2. Thanks! I'll keep that in mind for my search. I'm planning on checking out the following: Elantra, Mazda 3, Impreza for the smaller cars and also the Altima, Sonata, Mazda 6 & Fusion for the mid-size cars.

    ReplyDelete