Saturday, June 25, 2011

Smart

This post was meant to be a joke.  The joke's on me.

ForTwo
This is the smallest and cheapest car available in the US.  It's only as long as most full-size pickup trucks are wide.  I didn't think I would even be able to get inside one of these microcars, let alone sit comfortably.  I was wrong.

What kind of devil-magic is this?
Due to some very clever engineering, this was actually more spacious than nearly all of the cars I've tested.  The doors are wide, the roofline is very high, and there's nothing in the way of my knees.  It's amazing.  Granted, it's so narrow that there wasn't room for a center armrest, and there is no room whatsoever for cargo unless you want to strap it into the passenger seat.  But there is a lot of room for a driver, and that's pretty much all I'll be transporting anyway.

I do have some reservations about the handling and acceleration of such a tiny vehicle.  I am also acutely aware of how absurd I will look driving this go-kart.  I didn't take a test drive yet, but if this makes it to the final round of evaluations, I will have to.  It's just too cheap and too comfortable to completely rule out, even with the other concerns.

No comments:

Post a Comment